Our Stem Cell Transplantation Center’s clinic trial registration was approved by WHO (ID: ChiCTR-TNRC-11001488) and FDA (ID: NCT01491165) in August, 2011 and October, 2011 respectively. Our center has conducted multicenter stem cell transplantation of cirrhosis. Till the end of 2016, we have treated over 131 patients with liver diseases or cirrhosis totally, including 68 cases of cirrhosis developed from hepatitis B (Child-Pugh 2-3). Follow-up results show that: liver progression was controlled obviously after one course of stem cell transplantation and the overall efficiency rate is 87%. The improvement of patients is as follows:
1. Ascites of patients with severe ascites decreased significantly after stem cell transplantation in the case of no infusion of albumin and other blood products. Some patients even decreased about 2,000 ml ascites.
2. Jaundice faded and pruritus reduced or even disappeared.
3. The digestive system symptoms, such as anorexia and abdominal swelling, were improved obviously.
4. Indexes of hepatic function were improved, mainly with reduce of GPT and GOT and increase of ALB.
5. The liver volume remained the same. However, the liver of some people who had smaller and sclerotic liver became larger and plump after stem cell transplantation.
6. Hypersplenism improved, stopping the reduce of three kinds of cells in the blood (white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets).
Without long-lasting damage due to virus, the condition of alcoholic cirrhosis improved more obviously than that of viral cirrhosis.
Patients who have benefit from stem cell therapy can take a second or even third course and the effect will be more apparent.
The Latest Developments in Liver Cirrhosis Treatment
On the basis of the traditional intravenous therapy, our center creatively introduced intravenous injection of stem cell transplantation into cirrhosis treatment in October 2011. This method not only gives full play to the advantages of minimally invasive and precise positioning, but also significantly increases the cells’ orientation to the lesion. It greatly has improved the clinic curative effect. What’s more, it is the first one to complete effect analysis and follow-up of treating cirrhosis with stem cells through different surgical approaches in domestic even around the world.