The MRI showed: L1 vertebra body pressed the spinal cord backward, which caused the spinal cord disconnected completely. (The left picture showed the red belt indicated the spinal cord, the right picture showed the arrow indicated the dislocated backward L1 vertebra body pressed spinal cord.)
Xiaozhao is a Chinese 21 years old male armed police soldier suffering from spinal cord injury. He was admitted to our hospital for the chief complaint of the movement dysfunction of his lower limbs with sensation disorder for 10 months after the accident. He happened to fall down to hurt his back on May 27th, 2006, the CT showed: L1 vertebral body burst fracture, MRI showed: spinal cord disconnected completely. He received stem cell treatment on March 9, 2007.
Before the stem cell treatment:
- His lower limbs were completely palsy;
- The sensation of pain, temperature, touching and joints location was lost beneath the navel level;
- He could perceive the urination and bowl movement but hard to excrete which needing more forces;
- His penis could not erect.
After 3 rounds stem cell treatment:
- He can perceive the sensation of the proximal of his lower limbs and hip, feel calf numbness;
- His urination can be excreted easily, almost normally, his bowl movement can be excreted easily;
- His penis can erect with outside stimulation.
3 months after the stem cell treatment:
- He can step forward by using his waist muscle, he can stand for 3 hours with holding the bed side (He can stand for 1 hour when discharging.);
- He can perceive the urination and bowl movement, the stool can be excreted easily and controlled by himself; he can keep to control his urination before excretion, the frequency of his urination is reduced obviously;
- His penis can be erected with outside stimulation whilst he can perceive the erection.