Xiaosun is a 22 years old male patient suffering from brain injury. He was in coma after brain injury on 17th May 2000, then he was sent to Beijing Emergency Center urgently, he was diagnosed as severe craniocerebral injury and the right temporal skull injury. Then he was given the operations of decompressive craniectomy and intracranial evacuation of hematoma. 12 days after his admission, he was transferred to our hospital for physical rehabilitation treatment, his medical condition was improved, with clear consciousness but he still had obstacles with his limbs movement.
In October 2002, the CT of his head in our hospital indicated hydrocephalus, then he was offered the operations of ventriculoperitoneal shunt and skull repairin. Since the sequlae of his neural system was remained, he kept to receive the physical rehabilitation treatment, he still had movement dysfunction of his upper limbs and left lower limb. On 13th May 2004, the CT of his head indicated: there was large area malacia focus of right frontal and temporal accompanying with the changes of ventricular system; after cranial deficiency repairing operation.
He received the stem cell therapy in our hospital in December 2004, 4.5 years’ after the injury.
Before the stem cell treatment:
- He suffered from incomplete motor aphasia, amnesia;
- His right upper limb with muscle strength grade 4, elbow joints ossification, he couldn’t bend his elbow joints, right lower limb muscle strength grade 5 with high muscular tension, left limbs muscle strength grade 3 with high muscular tension as well, even with 2 persons assisting, he still couldn’t walk;
- His superficial and deep sense ability was alright.
Before his discharge:
- His abnormal muscular tension is reduced obviously;
- The muscle strength of his limbs is increased obviously;
- With 2 persons assist, he could walk, the doctors thought that he will achieve more improvements if he continues to receive physical rehabilitation exercises.
3 months after his discharge:
- His mother called us excitedly that he can walk by himself now.