Till the end of 2016, our department has treated 1721 patients of traumatic brain injury syndrome (post-traumatic brain syndrome), and the rate of improvement is 91%. The improvement shows in:
1) Improvement of senior intelligent activity, such as better ability to communicate with people, capacity of thinking and analyzing, and better memory.
2) Reduction of abnormal high muscular tension and better flexibility and coordinate of the body.
3) More muscle strength, better athletic ability and flexibility of hands and feet.
4) Improved sensory function of injured limbs.
5) Better mood and less or even no maniac behavior such as hitting people, arguing with people, smashing things and self-mutilation.
6) Improvement of epilepsy. Patients have less or even no epileptic seizure and the improvement can be obviously seen from the brain wave scan. Patients can use less or even stop using antiepileptic drug.
7）Better consciousness and memory.
8) Watering mouth well controlled.
The methods of stem cell transplantation for traumatic brain injury syndrome can be divided into implantation via stereotactic brain surgery, transplantation via lumbar puncture in subarachnoid space and transplantation via intravenous injection. Each of these three methods has its own advantages and disadvantages. We usually combine two or three methods together to give full play to the advantages and achieve better treating effect. Many patients have received second, third or even fourth course of treatment, and have improved their condition through each course of transplantation.
For now, the youngest patient who we has treated is 2 years old, and the oldest patient is now 56 years old; for the length of disease time, the shortest one is 2 weeks after injury, and the longest one is 15 years after injury. According to our clinical experience, though the transplantation is till effective to patients who treat the disease several years after injury, if the condition is basically stabilized, it is better to receive transplantation as soon as possible in the early stage of traumatic brain injury. The effect of treatment would be even better if patients practice proper and systematic rehabilitation excises after the transplantation.