Mrs. Li is a Chinese 61 years old female patient suffering from motor neuron disease (ALS). Her disease onset is in September, 2004, then she was diagnosed as motor neuron disease in local hospital. She received 1st round stem cell treatment in April, 2006, around 1 year after her disease onset.
Her brief medical history and general medical condition:
She underwent pain of her right shoulder without obvious incentive, periodical pain, especially during the night, whilst she felt weakness of her right hand and neck and back, could not support her head, whilst she felt numbness of her right hand. In December of the same year, the weakness of her right hand aggravated, which caused that she could not hold heavy objects with occasional muscle jump. She consulted in local hospital for the preliminary diagnose as cervical spondylosis and was given Chinese medicine traction and massage for 3 months. But her symptoms were not improved, the weakness was aggravating gradually whilst the weakness of her left hand was occurred with muscle jump of her 4 limbs. Her symptoms was aggravating gradually, she could not lift up her upper limbs, her neck was too weak to straight a period, she turned her head weakly. The EMG of local hospital showed: extensive neurogenic damages, her diagnose was motor neuron disease as final, then she was given acupuncture, massages and Chinese medicines until now, but no improvements. She suffered from low tone voice, choke occasionally during drinking, difficult breath during lying on back since February, 2006.
Before the stem cell treatment:
- Her cervical muscle was weak, her head kept straight for a very short period, which caused her have to wear neck collar to support her head;
- She could not lift up her upper limbs, her hands were weakness, the flexibility of her hands was poor, her lower limbs were weakness, she needed assistant from other during being on upstairs, her speech tone was low, her speech speed was slow, she choked during drinking.
The physical examination before the stem cell treatment:
- Her escaping muscles atrophied, big and small thenar muscles atrophied and shoulder muscle atrophied, muscle fasciculation of her 4 limbs was occurred;
- Her speech tone was low, her speech speed was slow, the movement degree of her soft palate was normal, her pharyngeal reflex was not flexible, she turned head and shrugged weakly, her tongue was in the middle of her mouth, the tongue muscle was slightly atrophy with convulsion, her neck was soft, the period of her head straight was short;
- The muscle strength of her distal left upper limb was 3 grades, the proximal muscle strength was 0 grade; the muscle strength of her distal right upper limb was 2 grades, the proximal muscle strength was 0 grade;
- The muscular tension of her upper limbs was reduced, the tendon reflex was weak, bilateral Hoffman sign (+); the muscle strength of her lower limbs was 4+ grades, the muscular tension was normal, the tendon reflex was normal, Hoffman sign (-), Rossolimo sign (-), biliteral Babinski’s sign (+), Kernig’s sign (-), the deep and superficial sensation of her whole body was normal.
The assistant examination before the stem cell treatment:
EMG in local hospital showed: the normal phase wave and fibrillation wave were observed during multiple muscles relaxed, the average time limit of motor unit potential was enlarged, the voltage was increased during slight contraction, the spike voltage was increased, the quantity of motor unit potential was reduced during severe contraction. The motor and sensation conduction velocity of peripheral nerves were normal.
During the treatment period (after the 4 stem cell implantations):
- Her difficult breath during lying on back is relieved obviously;
- She can speak more powerfully than before, speak much more sentences without obvious shortness of breath;
- The muscle strength of her neck is increased obviously, the related supporting period is longer than before, she can take off the neck collar;
- The pain feeling of her shoulder is disappeared;
- The muscle strength of her upper limbs is slightly improved whilst the muscle strength of her lower limbs is improved obviously, she can walk longer distance than before, the muscle jump of her 4 limbs is relieved obviously.