Mrs. Huang is a Chinese 46 years old female patient suffering from spinal cord injury. She was admitted to our hospital for the chief complaint of movement and sensation disorder of 4 limbs with incontinence of urination and bowl movement for over 10 months after cervical injury. She was diagnosed as C5-C6 spinal cord injury with complete high paraplegia.
She received 1st round stem cell treatment including 1 stem cell injection via lumbar puncture and 2 stem cell transplantations via CT guided intraspinal cord injection in January, 2010.
The MRI of her neck showed: C5-C6 vertebral bodies fracture post-operation, there was abnormal signal on C5-C6 spinal cord segment.
Before the stem cell treatment:
- She could not lift up her left upper limb high to over her head, it was hard for her to stretch her elbow;
- She could not lift up her right upper limb high, her hand only could touch her heart part, it was hard for her to stretch her elbow when her palm was upward; she could not stretch her elbow and was hard to bend elbow when her palm was downward;
- The volume of her sweating was less on the top of her xiphoid and back and waist level.
After the stem cell treatment:
- The muscle strength of her left upper limb is increased more than before, she can stretch her limb and higher than head whilst she can touch her right ear by stretching her left arm around her head back, the muscle strength of her stretching elbow is improved obviously;
- The muscle strength of her right upper limb is increased more than before, she can stretch her limb and higher than before, her right hand can touch her eyes, she can stretch and bend her arm more powerfully when her palm is upward; she can stretch and bend her elbow when her palm is downward;
- The volume of her sweating is increased more than before on the top of her xiphoid and back and waist.