Name: Mr. Wang
Age: 28 years old
Diagnosis: severe craniocerebral injury
Mr. Wang, male, 28 years' old, a resident of Wuhan Hubei, his brain was injured in a car accident on the 14th of October, 2008. He is diagnosed as severe craniocerebral injury. He was in coma for 5 months after the accident. Afterwards, he was not treated well in the most domestic hospitals until he reached to our hospital in October, 2011. He received a course of stem cell transplantation treatment including 2 stem cell injections via lumbar puncture, 1 stem cell implantation via stereotactic brain surgery and 1 stem cell injection via intravenous infution.
Before the stem cell treatment:
- The muscle strength of his right upper extremity was lack, he was unable to raise his right hand;
- Since the muscle strength of his waist was weak, he was not able to stand up from a wheelchair. With the aid of others, he could stand up but not straight;
- The muscle strength of his right lower limb was weak, it's hard for his family members to assist him to walk. His right lower limb was too stiff to raise or even make a step. He could barely walk with his family members supporting his knees and moving the right lower limb for him.
After stem cell treatment:
- The muscle strength of his right upper limb is improved, he can slightly raise his right arm;
- The muscle strength of his waist is obviously increased, so that he can stand up straighter with a little help or with his left hand grasping the railing;
- The muscle strength of his right lower limb is imporved obviously, so that he can raise his right lower limb and move forward all by himself, which enabled him to step forward with his left hand holding the railing.