Mr. Liu is a Chinese 30 years old male patient suffering from spinal cord injury. He happened to undergo a car crash to hurt his C3-C6 vertebras fracture, spinal cord contusion and C6 vertebral body slight dislocation, then he was diagnosed as spinal cord injury with high paraplegia. He was given the operations of repairing of cervical vertebras fracture, bone implantation infusion and Titanium inside fixation 2 days after the accident. His 4 limbs could move but with movement dysfunction. He could perceive the urination and bowl movement.
He received 1st round stem cell treatment in June, 2007. He received 1st round stem cell treatment in our hospital in June, 2007, including 2 stem cell transplantations via lumbar puncture, 1 stem cell implantation via CT guided intraspinal injection, the efficacy was good, then he received 2nd round stem cell treatment in May, 2008.
Before 1st round stem cell treatment:
- He could walk for a short distance with other’s assistant whilst he could stand by leaning the wall with other’s assistant for over 10 minutes;
- The muscle strength of his waist was weak, his body was swaying obviously when standing;
- The muscle strength of his lower limbs was weak, especially his left side; he could not lift up his left lower limb when lying, it was hard to him to bend his feet;
- The movement ability of his upper limbs was poor, he could hardly lift up his left shoulder, the muscle of his left fingers could contract slightly while he could not grasp anything, his right upper limb could bend slightly and pick up 2kg dumbbell;
- He could perceive his urination and bowl movement.
Before 2nd round stem cell treatment:
- The distance he can walk with other’s assistant is longer, he can stand by himself for 2-3 minutes;
- The muscle strength of his waist is improved obviously, his body can not sway when standing;
- The muscle strength of his lower limbs is improved obviously, he can lift up his left lower limb when lying, he can bend his feet more stronger;
- He can raise up 3kg dumbbell by his right upper limb;
- He can perceive his urination and bowl movement whilst he can control them better than before;
- His sensation of cold, hot is more sensitive than before.