Mr. Li is a Chinese 39 years old male patient suffering from spinal cord injury. He was admitted to our hospital for the chief complaint of movement and sensation disorder of his 4 limbs for over 1 year after the injury. He was diagnosed as spinal cord injury (C4-C5 spinal cord injury complete). He received 1st round stem cell treatment in our hospital in March, 2010.
Before the stem cell treatment:
- The sensation of pain, temperature beneath the nipple level was lost, the touching sensation beneath the nipple level was reduced;
- The muscle strength of his chest, abdomen was weak, his voice tone was low, his respiratory function was weak, his cough was weak, he could not cough up when having sputum;
- The motor ability of his upper limbs was weak, he could lift up his lower limbs about 20cm high from bed level when lying on back, his wrists and fingers could not move;
- The muscle strength of his waist was weak, he could not sit by himself;
- He suffered from incontinence of urination and bowl movement.
He received 2nd round stem cell treatment in our hospital in November, 2010.
Before the 2nd round stem cell treatment:
- He can perceive his sensation better, especially the touching feeling of his whole body;
- The muscle strength of his chest and abdomen is improved obviously, his voice is restored normally, his breath is normal, he can cough up the sputum easily;
- He can move his upper limbs freely when lying on back, his wrists can turn over with ease, his fingers can move slightly, he can drive his wheelchair by himself;
- The muscle strength of his waist is improved obviously, he can sit by himself;
- He can perceive his urination and bowl movement.