Mr. Du is a Chinese 31 years old male patient suffering from the sequela of traumatic brain injury. He happened to fall down from high place after drunk on 4th, February, 2002, which caused him traumatic brain injury and coma accompanying with incontinence of urination and bowl movement. Then he was sent to local hospital for symptomatic treatment which is not known in detailed. He was accepted by Nanyang central hospital 2 days after the accident, then he was given the relevant image examination, which indicated: the contusion and laceration of right front brain, the hematoma inside the brain, which break into the right lateral ventricle and 3rd ventricle. Then he received the drainage of the hematoma of right lateral ventricle as emergency surgery. The operation was successful but he did not come to himself after the surgery, then he was offered hyperbaric oxygen and symptomatic treatments, the 40th day after the operation, he was awaken but found his mouth, eyes and neck lean to the left side and movement disorder of his left side body. Then he received rehabilitation training and physical treatment until now. The touching sensation of his left limbs was improved, the muscle strength of his left lower limb was recuperated gradually, but his left hand still could not stretch with stiffness of his left upper limb. Now he was admitted to our hospital as the final diagnose of sequela of traumatic brain injury.
He was admitted to our hospital for the stem cell treatment on November 24th, 2014, which included 1 stem cell implantation via stereotactic brain surgery, 2 stem cell injections via lumbar puncture.
Before the stem cell treatment:
- The corner of his mouth, corner of his eyes and neck turned to left;
- The muscular tension of his left upper limb was high, so that his left upper limb stayed in stiffness and kept in bending position, his left hand could not stretch freely but made a fist all the time;
- His left lower limb and left foot are in the internal rotation status slightly.
1st day after the 1st stem cell injection:
- He felt his left shoulder joint could move freely.
3rd day after the stereotactic brain surgery:
- The forced turning of the corner of his mouth, corner of his eyes and neck is improved obviously;
- The muscular tension of his left upper limbs is improved obviously, so that he can move his left upper limb voluntarily;
- The internal rotation status of his left lower limb and left foot is improved obviously.
2nd day after the stem cell injection:
- His face expression is nature, no leaking from his mouth during his feeding, the turning status of his neck is improved further;
- The muscular tension of his left upper limb is improved further, so that he can stretch and bend his left upper limb voluntarily, the fisting status of his left hand is improved slightly;
- The internal rotation of his left lower limb and left foot is improved further, he can walk nature and powerfully.
Below video was taken before patient was dismissed from hospital：