Mary is a Japanese 14 years old female patient suffering from cerebral palsy. She was admitted to our hospital for the chief complaint of cognitive and motor development retardation for over 13 years. She was full-term gestation, her mother is 40 years old of advanced maternal age, cesarean delivery, after born, no crying voice, purple skin of whole body, with obvious apnea and hypoxia history. The MRI of her head on August 5th, 2011 indicated: no obvious abnormality.
She received 4 rounds stem cell treatments in our hospital in August, December, 2011 and July, December, 2012 (respectively 1 stem cell implantation via stereotactic brain surgery and 15 stem cell injections via lumbar puncture). The operations were successful without side effect post-operation.
Before 1st round stem cell treatment:
- Her cognitive ability was not good, her speech ability was poor, her reaction ability was poor;
- The fine movement ability of her both hands was poor;
- She suffered from hyperactivity.
Before her discharge of 4th round stem cell treatment:
- Her understanding ability is much better than before, she can communicate with others by eye contact or simple words;
- The fine movement ability of her both hands is improved obviously, she can grasp coins etc. small objects;
- Her hyperactivity is relieved obviously or even disappeared, the volume of her active movements is increased obviously.