Hanati is a Kazakhstan 32 years old male patient suffering from sequela of spinal cord injury. He was admitted to our hospital for the chief complaint of movement and sensation disorder of his lower limbs for over 4 years after the thoracic injury. He happened to undergo a car crash to hurt his head and chest on November 11th, 2006. At the same time, he lost his consciousness with hemorrhage of his frontal head, no nausea or incontinence. He was sent to the local hospital urgently and diagnosed as spinal cord injury of T8. Then he was given the operations of open spinal cord for exploration, decompression evacuation of hemotoma, titanium stick internal fixation under general anesthesia. After given symptomatic treatment post-operation, he came to himself. Because of the internal fixed object was loosed, he received the operation of internal fixed object extraction under general anesthesia in April, 2007 with good recuperation. Then he received the operations of open spinal cord exploration and titanium stick internal fixation in May, 2007. After the symptomatic treatment post-operation, his urine tube was released, he could perceive the urination but could not control by himself, he could sit by himself, the muscular tension of his limbs was severely high, the shaking of his lower limbs was occurred often. He received 2 rounds stem cell treatments including 1 stem cell injection via lumbar puncture and 2 stem cell transplantations via CT guided interspinal injection from June, 2009 to March , 2010. During the treatment period, he was given physical rehabilitation therapy to benefit his recuperation.
Before the stem cell treatment:
- The muscular tension of his limbs was severely higher than normal, the shaking of his lower limbs was occurred often;
- The muscle strength of his limbs was weak, the motor ability of his limbs was poor, for example, he only could sit by himself, but could not stand or walk independently;
- He could perceive his urination but could not control it by himself;
- The sensation beneath the injured segment was lost.
After the stem cell treatment:
- The muscular tension of his lower limbs is improved obviously, the shaking of his lower limbs is relieved obviously;
- The muscle strength of his lower limbs is improved obviously, he can sit and stand by assistant for a longer period;
- He can perceive and control his urination and bowl movement;
- The sensation level is lowered to his navel level.