Mr. Dong is a Chinese 24 years old male patient suffering from spinal cord injury. He happened to be injured to his head, face, neck by falling walls in 2005. MRI of his spinal cord before the stem cell implantation showed: C3-C7 spinal cord disconnected and liquefied. He was given the first stem cell treatment and almost 1 year rehabilitation therapy.
This patient’s story is edited and produced into a short film, which is published on a TV programme, named "Approaching science" of CCTV channel and can be watched globally.
Before the stem cell treatment;
- The motor function: the muscle volume of his upper limbs was atrophy, he only could lift up his left upper limb a little but not lift high, his fingers could not move with claw appearance; his right upper limb could not lift up completely, the movement range on bed level was very limited, his wrist could not turn over, his fingers could not move completely with claw appearance; his lower limbs were palsy without voluntary movement;
- Sensation function: the sensation beneath 3 cm above nipple level was lost; he could not perceive the urination and bowl movement;- The muscular tension: the muscular tension of his upper limbs was high with stiffness; his lower limbs were in the bending and contracture status; his right lower limb could stretch with outside force, his left lower limb could not stretch out, but his right lower limb curled up to original bending status soon, which could not be controlled completely; the muscular tension of his lower limbs would increase, his lower limbs closed tightly, could not be separated if given outside stimulation;
- The neural reflex: the bilateral abdominal reflex was disappeared;
- Sweating and urination and bowl movement: it could sweat on the top of 3cm above nipple level of his front chest, the rest of his body lost sweating function, the body temperature adjustment function was poor; he has no perceiving of bowl movement and incontinence of urination.
16 days after the stem cell treatment:
- The motor function improvements: his left upper limb can lift up, the flexibility of his wrists is better, but he still can not move or bear load; the muscle tendon contraction of his right upper limb can be seen, his wrists can turn over, but his right upper limb still can not be lift up or move on the bed level or bear load;
- The muscular tension: the muscular tension of his fingers and lower limbs are improved obviously, his lower limbs can stretch straight in stationary status with outside helps;
- The sensation function: the pain feeling level of his right side is lowered to right costal arch, the touching feeling level of his right side is lowered to navel level; the pain feeling level of his left side is lowered to 2cm beneath the left costal arch;
- The sweating function: the sweating level is lowered to his touching feeling level;
- The neural reflex: his left disappeared abdominal reflex is elicited, but the right abdominal reflex is not restored.
The 44th day after the stem cell treatment:
- The motor function: the muscle volume of his left upper limb is harvester than before, he can lift up his left upper limb higher than before, up to his mouth level; the flexibility of his wrists is better than before, he can lift up 2kg dumbbell, he can lift up his left limb 40-50 times; the muscle tendon contraction of his right upper limb can be seen, the right wrist can turn over more flexibly than before.
- The muscular tension: the muscular tension of his fingers and lower limbs is improved obviously, his lower limbs can be stretched straight in stationary status with outside help;
- The sensation function: his left pain feeling is lowered to 2cm beneath left costal arch, the touching feeling level is lowered to anterior superior iliac spine level;
- The sweating function: his sweating level is lowered to his hip;
- The neural reflex: his bilateral abdominal reflex can be elicited.
Mr. Dong was confident to come to our hospital for the 2nd treatment on May 28th, 2007, he received the stem cell implantations via stereotactic brain surgery on June 8th, 2007 and via intraspinal injection following CT guideline on June 24th, 2007.
After the 2nd round stem cell treatment:
- The muscle strength of his upper limbs is improved obviously, his right upper limb can be lifted up and move, his left wrist can turn inside and outside (he used to turn his left wrist inside only), the thumb of his left hand can bend slightly;
- The muscle strength of his waist is improved obviously, he can stand for over 1 hour with his family members' assistant and wearing the brace, he can stand by himself with his left hand holding the bedside (he could not stand by himself previously);
- The sensation level is lowered to his navel, he used to have sensation of cold, hot only above his clavicle level, now which is lowered to xiphoid level of his front chest, the back sensation is lowered to his hip;
- The sweating function is restored normally;
- His urination and bowl movement condition: he can perceive his urination and bowl movement, he can perceive the contraction of his sphincter when he can use his abdominal muscle for his bowl movement; he can keep to control his urination for over 1 minute before releasing, the volume of his urination is increased, the volume of his bladder is increased than before, he used to urinate in any time, now he can urinate in the morning, noon and evening/day;
- The muscle volume of his upper limbs and chest is harvest, his weight is increased by 5kg than before;
- The erection of his penis is restored partly.