Andophy is a 66 years old male patient from Pakistan suffering from sequela of spinal cord injury. He was admitted to our hospital on December 5th, 2014 for the chief complaint of the sensation and movement disorder of his lower limbs and incontinence of urination and defecation for over 2 years.
He happened to meet a car crash in November 2012, which caused his thoracic vertebra injury, at the time he was conscious with incontinence of urination and defecation and was sent to local hospital with emergency. The imaging examination showed: comminuted fracture of T2/3 vertebra accompanying with the spinal cord injury of corresponding section. He was given the debridement with emergency according to his spinal cord injury, incomplete paralysis of his 4 limbs, and multipleopen wounds of whole body. He received internal fixation of thoracic 2/3 vertebra with titanium plate under general anesthesia. After the operation, he suffered from disorders of sensation, movement, urination and defecation, along with chest belt tight sensation and hyperesthesia. He received physical rehabilitation therapy from 2nd month after the operation to now, through which the touching sensation of his lower limbs was improved better than before, but he could not move his lower limbs with incontinence of urination and defecation. Then, he was admitted to our hospital for further improvements.
During the treatment, he received 4 stem cellsinjectionsvia 1 interventional therapy, 2 CT-guided intraspinal injection and 1 lumbar puncture respectively.
Before the stem cell treatment：
- The sensation below the xiphoid level was declining with no feeling of pain and temperature. The feeling of pain and temperature and the touch below bilateral groin level was reduced, the feeling of pain and temperature and touch below bilateral knee joints lost. The distinguishing sensation between 2 points, topesthesia sensation and tuning fork vibration sensation of the both lower limbs lost.
- The muscle of his lower limbs was slightly atrophied and nofasciculation was discovered. The muscle strength and muscular tension of his lower limbs were normal. The proximal myodynamia of his right lower limb was grade Ⅲ, the distal myodynamia of his right lower limb was grade0; the proximal myodynamia of his left lower limb was gradesⅣ, the distal myodynamia of his right lower limb was grade 0. The muscular tension of his both lower limbs was normal. The bilateral patellar tension reflex and the Achilles tendon reflex were normal. The bilateral Babinski sign was negative. The anal sphincter reflex was declining.
- The sweating function of his lower limbs was in disorder, the temperature of his lower limbs was normal, the skin elasticity was normal, the skin scratch test was negative.
- The sensation and controlling ability of his urination and defecation were poor, lack of power with his bowel movement.
During the treatment period (after 1st stem cell injection):
- He can feel the chest belt tight sensation is relieved obviously.
During the treatment period (after the 3rd stem cell injection):
- He can roll on the bed with little assistance;
- He can feel his toes of both feet slightly.
2 days after the 4th stem cell injection:
- He can feel that the muscle strength of his both lower limbs is improved obviously;
- He can feel the chest belt tight sensation relieved obviously;
- He can feel his toes of both feet obviously;
- He can roll on bed with little assistance.