Dr. Yihua An
——Chief Physician, Researcher, PhD of Neurosurgery, Post Doctor, PHD Supervisor.
As an expert in repairing and reviving the damaged central nervous system, Dr. An studied from Kilsoo Choi (the former Vice President of World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies) and Professor Zhongcheng Wang (most reputable and well known as the pioneer of neurosurgery in China and also an academician of Chinese Academy of Engineering).
Dr. An is the first to apply stem cells transplantation to clinical treatment for sequelae of central nervous system injury. With distinguished effects, his research achievements are highly praised by experts both at home and abroad, which makes him one of the pioneers and founders of the stem cell therapy in China.
Dr. An has given several lectures in international academic seminars, and published over 70 papers on stem cell transplant, including 24 papers in the SCI (Science Citation Index) which is known as the world's leading journal of science and technology. In 2010, Dr. Yihua won the second prize of the Armed Police Force Scientific Improvement Awards. He also accomplished research for “863 project” (a major national project of stem cell and tissue).
Now, as the director of stem cell department in General Hospital of Chinese People’s Armed Police Forces and the 309th Hospital of PLA, Dr. An is leading his medical team working on 26 stem cell clinical trials for FDA and WHO. Their clinical trials on Stem cell therapy for cerebral palsy and spinal cord injury sequelae have been approved to proceed into phase 3, which are both taking the lead worldwide.
1. Development of stem cell technology and products for treating Cerebrovascular Disease Sequelae. National 863 Stem Cell and Tissue Engineering project (2006AA02A115).
2. Experimental research on neural stem cell transplantation to treat Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. Nature Science Foundation of China (30240052).
3. Experimentation and clinical research on traumatic brain injury and treatment with mild hypothermia. The 9th, Five-Year Key Project of Heilongjiang Province（G98L19-13).
Funded Research Projects
1. Neural stem cell transplantation to repair dysfunction after Cerebral Infarction in monkeys. The 10th Huo Yingdong Education Foundation Fellowship for Young Teachers of Higher Education (101043)
2. Research on the underlying mechanism of neural stem cell transplantation to treat Motor Neuron Disease. The New-Century Notable Talent Culture Plan of the Chinese Ministry of Education
3. Combination of neural stem cells and tissue engineering to treat post Cerebral Haemorrhage neurological dysfunction in monkeys. Nature Science Foundation of China (30371452)
4. Combination of neural stem cells and tissue engineering to repair facial nerve injury. Nature Science Foundation of Beijing City (30371452)
5. Combination of neural stem cells and tissue engineering to treat post Cerebral Haemorrhage Neurological Dysfunction. Beijing New Star of Science and Technology Culture Plan (H020821360130)
6. Combination of neural stem cells and tissue engineering to treat post Cerebral Haemorrhage Neurological Dysfunction in monkeys. International science and technology cooperation project of Beijing in 2003（2003012)
7. Neural stem cell transplantation to repair post Cerebral Haemorrhage dysfunction in rats. Beijing Notable Talent Culture Project
8. Preclinical research on neural stem cell transplantation to treat Stroke Sequelae. China Postdoctoral Foundation
9. Culture and transplantation of human multipotent neural stem cells: a pilot study. Beijing Young Research Culture Foundation
10. Preclinical and clinical study on the relationship between free radicals and delayed secondary brain injury after hypothermia protection. Research Foundation for Young Scientists (Heilongjiang Province) (Q99-19)
Published Stem Cell Research Papers
1． Min Li, Aixue Yu, Fangfang Zhang, Hongbin Cheng, Xiaodong Wang, Yihua An. Treatment of one case of cerebral palsy combined with posterior visual pathway injury using autologous bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells.Journal of Translational Medicine 2012, 10:100. (SCI included，IF：3.51) 2． Xinjie Bao, Ming Feng, Junji Wei, Qin Han, Hao Zhao, Guilin Li, Zhaohui Zhu, Haiqun Xing, Yihua An, Chuan Qin, Robert Chunhua Zhao and Renzhi Wang. Transplantation of Flk-1+ human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells promotes angiogenesis and neurogensis after cerebral ischemia in rats.European Journal of Neuroscience, 2011; 34: 87-98. (SCI included,IF：3.658) 3． Ming Feng, Hua Zhu, Zhaohui Zhu, Junji Wei, Shan Lu, Qin Li, Nan Zhang, Guilin Li, Fang Li, Wenbin Ma, Yihua An, Robert Chunhua Zhao, Chuan Qin, and Renzhi Wang. Serial 18F-FDG PET Demonstrates Benefit of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Treatment of Intracerebral Hematoma: A Translational Study in a Primate Model. J Nucl Med 2011; 52:90–97. (SCI included，IF:7.022) 4． Xinjie Bao, Junji Wei, Ming Feng, Shan Lu, Guilin Li, Wanchen Dou, Wenbin Ma, Sihai Ma, Yihua An, Chuan Qin, Robert Chunhua Zhao, Renzhi Wang. Transplantation of human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells promotes behavioral recovery and endogenous neurogenesis after cerebral ischemia in rats. Brain Research 2011;1367:103-113. (SCI included，IF:2.623) 5． Jiamei Li, Hua Zhu, Ying Liu, Qin Li, Shan Lu, Ming Feng, Yanfeng Xu, Lan Huang, Chunmei Ma, Yihua An, Robert Chunhua Zhao, , Renzhi Wang, Chuan Qin. Humanmesenchymal stem cell transplantation protects against cerebral ischemic injury and upregulates interleukin-10 expression in Macaca fascicularis. Brain Research 2010;1334:65-72. (SCI included，IF:2.623) 6． Sun C, Zhang H, Li J, Huang H, Cheng H, Wang Y, Li P, An Y. Modulation of the major histocompatibility complex by neural stem cell-derived neurotrophic factors used for regenerative therapy in a rat model of stroke. J Transl Med. 2010 Aug 20:8:77. (SCI included，IF:3.51) 7． Bao X, Wei J, Feng M, Lu S, Li G, Dou W, Ma W, Ma S, An Y, Qin C, Zhao RC, Wang R. Transplantation of human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells promotes behavioral recovery and endogenous neurogenesis after cerebral ischemia in rats. Brain Res. 2010 Oct 23:103-113. (SCI included，IF:2.46) 8． Li J, Zhu H, Liu Y, Li Q, Lu S, Feng M, Xu Y, Huang L, Ma C, An Y, Zhao RC, Wang R, Qin C. Human mesenchymal stem cell transplantation protects against cerebral ischemic injury and upregulates interleukin-10 expression in Macacafascicularis. Brain Res. 2010 Jun 2:1334:65-72. (SCI included，IF:2.46) 9． Ren YJ, Zhang H, Huang H, Wang XM, Zhou ZY, Cui FZ, An YH. In vitro behavior of neural stem cells in response to different chemical functional groups. Biomaterials. 2009, 30(6): 1036-1044. (SCI included，IF:7.365) 10． Zhang H, Wei YT, Tsang KS, Sun CR, Li J, Huang H, Cui FZ, An YH. Implantation of neural stem cells embedded in hyaluronic acid and collagen composite conduit promotes regeneration in a rabbit facial nerve injury model. J Transl Med. 2008,6:67. (SCI included，IF:2.92) 11． Li J, Sun CR, Zhang H, Tsang KS, Li JH, Zhang SD, An YH. Induction of functional recovery by co-transplantation of neural stem cells and Schwann cells in a rat spinal cord contusion injury model. Biomed Environ Sci. 2007, 20(3): 242-249. (SCI included，IF:0.557) 12． Sun CR, Wang CC, Tsang KS, Li J, Zhang H, An YH. Modulation and impact of class I major histocompatibility complex by neural stem cell-derived neurotrophins on neuroregeneration. Med Hypotheses. 2007, 68(1): 176-9. (SCI included，IF:1.299) 13． An YH, Tsang KS, Zhang H. Potential of stem cell based therapy and tissue engineering in the regeneration of central nervous system. Biomed. Mater. 2006, 1: R38-R44. (SCI included，IF:1.01) 14． An YH, Wang HY, Gao ZX, Wang ZC. Differentiation of rat neural stem cells and its relationship with environment. Biomed. Environ. Sci. 2004, 17(1): 1-7. (SCI included，IF:1.011) 15． An YH, Wang HY, Wang CC. Neural stem cells transplantation improved the neurological function of cerebral ischemic rat. J Neurochemistry. 2004, 88: Supple 1.Conference paper(SCI included，IF:4.337) 16． An YH, Wan H, Zhang ZS, Wang HY, Gao ZX, Sun MZ, Wang ZC. Effect of rat Schwann cell secretion on proliferation and differentiation of human neural stem cells. Biomed. Environ. Sci. 2003, 16: 90-94. (SCI included，IF:0.609) 17． Wan H, An YH, Sun MZ, Zhang YZ, Wang ZC. Schwann cells transplantation and the repair of brain stem injury in rats. Biomed. Environ. Sci. 2003, 16(3): 212-218. (SCI included，IF:0.609) 18． Wan H, An YH, Zhang Z, Zhang Y, Wang Z. Differentiation of rat embryonic neural stem cells promoted by co-cultured Schwann cells. Chin Med J. 2003, 116(3): 428-431.(SCI included，IF:0.393) 19． An YH, Liu E, Liu X, Yang F, Han F, Dai Q. Protective Effect of Melatonin on Neural Cells Against the Cytotoxicity of Oxyradicals. Chin Med Sci J. 2000, 15(1): 40-44. 20． An YH, Kim YK, Kim SS, Suh YH. Research on the Molecular Biological Mechanism of Melatonin to Inhibit Neural Cell Apoptosis. J Neurochemistry. 1998, 70: Supple 2, S52.